When Erling Haaland arrived at Manchester City, he was dubbed the summer signing. Given his subsequent achievements, City may very well have made the transfer of the century. As of writing this article, the Norwegian has scored an incredible 42 goals this season. In a recent match, City defeated Burnley 6-0 in the FA Cup quarter-finals, with Haaland scoring his sixth hat-trick.
Unsurprisingly, Man City has been witnessing massive wagering on its team and players, especially during UEFA or FA cup matches, just like it happens in the NFL when American football fans would wager heavily using betting information like the NFL picks against the spread and other to place bets on their favourite teams and players.
Similarly, Haaland features as a favourite among the bettors for the right reason. This article will review the elite list of highest scorers in the EPL and predict if the Norwegian star can break the previous records.
The Elite List of EPL Footballers
The 22-year-old Haaland has now netted 42 goals in 37 appearances for City this season after scoring five times in a 7-0 win against RB Leipzig in one instance. Haaland has joined the elite list and is among only six Premier League players in history to score more than 40 goals in all competitions in a single season.
Here is a look at the rest of the list:
- Andy Cole was the first EPL player to reach 40 goals, scoring 41 times in 45 games for Newcastle in the 1993/1994 season.
- Mo Salah of Liverpool and Ruud van Nistelrooy of Manchester United hold the title for the most goals scored by a Premier League player in a single season across all competitions.
- Van Nistelrooy set the record with 44 goals in 52 games during the 2002/03 season, which Salah equaled in 2017/18, also in 52 games.
- Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portuguese football icon and former Real Madrid player, scored 42 goals in 49 games for Manchester United in 2007/08.
- Harry Kane rounds out the list, scoring 41 goals in 48 games for Tottenham Hotspur in 2017/18.
The Manchester City forward only needs three goals in his remaining games to surpass Salah and Nistelrooy. Looking at his form and the number of matches remaining, it is hardly surprising if the Norwegian becomes the top goal scorer in the list.
What’s Next For Haaland?
For Haaland, his first ambition of scoring goals has most likely been met. As a Man City striker, he has smashed multiple Premier League records while becoming the quickest individual to score two, three, and four hat-tricks, and the first player in EPL history to register hat-tricks in 3 successive home games.
Developing as a football player is relative. Still, with so many new arrivals at City struggling to hit the ground running in their first season, it’s hard to justify that the Norwegian hasn’t enhanced his craft under Guardiola. As for what’s next for the young footballer, only time will tell.
Can Man City Win UCL with Haaland?
All that remains are the silverware. While City is still fighting on three fronts this season, the FA Cup is their best opportunity of bringing home a trophy. With a game against Arsenal yet to be played, the Premier League title is not out of their reach. The path to the Champions League final is challenging, and Haaland and his colleagues will understand that no opponent is easy at that level of the competition.